I saw this quote recently,
“If you don’t have a plan it’s like you’re going to an unknown destination without a map.”
For whatever goal we have, or whatever change we want to make, we must have a plan. Our plan is our map and our compass. It keeps us moving forward and on track.
We can set goals, but a goal without a plan won’t get you to the finish line.
Think of a marathon runner. Their goal is to win the race, to get over the finishing line before anyone else. If that’s all they had, would they make it? No, I don’t think so. They need to have a plan. Their plan would include, diet, health, taking supplements (possibly), training (lots of it), short term smaller goals along the way so they can measure their progress, to mention just a few things. They don’t just decide to run the marathon, then hope they’ll get over the finish line on the day.
It really is the same no matter what goal we have or change we want to make. We must plan for success.
So how do we go about making a self development plan?
Here’s a few tips to get you started :
- First and foremost, the most effective thing you can do is make a commitment to it. The very act of writing down your goal forces you to make that commitment
- Decide on your goal… Have a clear description / picture of the end point. Setting goals is like plotting a course for what you want to learn or change. Start by asking yourself, “What am I interested in?” “What do I want to change?” “Where do I want to grow?”This type of thinking brings things to the forefront of our minds, and something begins to form in us, and it becomes a plan – and we write it down.
- Set some strategies and steps to reach your end point
- Set some milestones along the way, smaller goals, to be used as indicators of success and opportunities for celebration
- Set timelines to measure the journey
- Build in a place to reflect and evaluate where you are at
- Look at your values – they are important to the overall goals you set
- And consider too your qualities – what will work for you?
- Get crystal clear where you want to be
The exciting thing is that YOU get to determine what your self-development plan will look like. And YOU get to make it work for you.
Taking Action :
- What is the first step you need to take to create your self-development plan?
- What benefits do you see for you in creating a self-development plan?
- What is your commitment level for achieving your goals?